Keep Google Chrome up to date to protect you and your data
Source: Pexels/Android Police
Google Chrome, like many modern browsers, can update itself automatically. This increases browser security to protect you and ensures that everyone has access to the latest web features. However, once a new update is available, Chrome will not necessarily install it immediately. So if there’s a new feature you want to try or a new security update you need, speed up the process and update the browser manually.
How to Update Google Chrome in Microsoft Windows
On Windows PCs, all of Google Chrome’s update functions are in the browser. Follow these steps to update to the latest version:
- Open Google Chrome.
- Open the drop-down menu by clicking on the three vertical dots in the upper right corner of the browser.
- Select Settings.
- In the settings menu, click About Chromium.
- Chrome automatically checks if it’s updated. If an update is available, a button labeled Update Google Chrome appears. Click on the button.
- Google Chrome updates and a button labeled Relaunch will appear. Click it Revive button.
- Chrome relaunches, automatically reopening any tabs you had open (unless you were in incognito mode). The latest version of Chrome is now installed.
How to Update Google Chrome on Android
Unlike PC, the Android version of Google Chrome is usually updated like all other Android apps, through the Google Play Store. You can update the browser through the Play Store by doing the following:
- Open the Google Play Store.
- Press your profile picture in the upper right corner.
- Select Manage apps and device.
- Select Updates available.
- Find Google Chrome and tap the Update button.
Although updating through the Google Play Store is the common way to update Chrome, you can also install an update from the browser.
- Open Google Chrome.
- Press the three vertical dots in the upper right corner to open the drop-down menu.
- If a new update is available, you will see Update Chromium in the drop-down menu. Tap it to update the browser.
How to update Google Chrome on iOS
Although Safari is the most popular browser on iOS, many people prefer Chrome because of its ability to sync history, settings, and tabs across multiple devices. If you are an iPhone or iPad user who likes to use Google Chrome, you can update the browser by doing the following:
- Open the App store.
- Press the profile icon in the upper right corner.
- Scroll to Upcoming automatic updates.
- To find Google Chrome.
- If an update is available, click the Update button.
- If prompted, enter your Apple ID and password.
always something new
Chrome is constantly being updated with new features, with new versions released every few months. However, there are many useful features that Google Chrome does not have natively. If you want to see what else your browser can do, check out our list of the 11 best Google Chrome extensions. If you want to take more advantage of Google’s ecosystem, check out our list of the best Android phones.