Robert Triggs/Android Authority
😁 Have a nice day and welcome to the Daily Authority! I’ve done a few small office furniture moves over the weekend and I’ve really forgotten how much of a pain cable management is. Literally. I hit my head under the desk several times.
Why is it so difficult, Google?
C. Scott Brown/Android Authority
Speaking of headaches, my colleague C. Scott Brown tried to sign up for Google’s Pixel Pass program over the weekend, a service that offers a Pixel phone and a host of Google services for a reasonable monthly fee. .
- As an Apple One competitor, Pixel Pass sounds great on paper. But he found the signup process a chore, especially for those already embedded in the Google ecosystem.
Why Pixel Pass is attractive
- Pixel Pass offers a host of attractive services, from Preferred Care phone repairs to YouTube Music and YouTube Premium subscriptions, Google One storage and Play Pass.
- It’s affordable too.
- Even if you plan to get the cheapest Pixel 6, the service will still save you money.
- “If you were to buy a 128GB Pixel 6 Pro and subscribe to each service individually with annual payments, it would cost you $1,457.94 over two years. With Pixel Pass, the same plan would cost you $1,320, or a savings of just under $138,” according to C. Scott.
- That’s a huge saving, especially in these tough economic times.
So what is the problem?
- Well, signing up for the service is unnecessarily complicated.
- To get a Pixel Pass subscription, you’ll need to cancel your existing YouTube Premium or YouTube Music plans, or subscribe to another service through another company.
- Family plans are also not offered through Pixel Pass, a major blow for those who currently share their Google services with others.
- To complicate the water further, there is no need to cancel a Google One subscription if it is less than 200 GB. Google also accepts Play Pass.
Hope for improvements
- Google’s current Pixel Pass enrollment system favors those not yet up to speed with the company’s ecosystem of services.
- But arguably, those who already own a Pixel device or use Google services are likely to sign up for Pixel Pass, especially before the debut of the Pixel 7 Pro.
- Google has the power to fix these relatively minor issues, but it remains to be seen if the company has more in store for potential subscribers.
⬆️ Here are the phone update policies of all major Android manufacturers. Where does your device fit? (Android Authority).
📸 Huawei announces Xmage, its new photography technology platform for its post-Leica era (Android Authority).
🚗 U.S. fuel prices hit record highs in June, but here’s a lot of gasoline $40 will get you in France, India, South Africa and other countries around the world (Washington Post).
🚀 NASA plans to launch its Artemis 1 Moon mission between late August and early September. The mission will bring the Orion module with it, allowing scientists to study the effects of spaceflight on the human body (Engadget).
Good week start !